Brief: Department of Science & Technology (DST) was established in May 1971, with the objective of promoting new areas of Science & Technology and to play the role of a nodal department for organising, coordinating and promoting S&T activities in the country
Thrust area: Scientific & Engineering Research , Technology Development, S&T and Socio Economic Development , women scientist programme, international s& t cooperation
Funding opportunity: TECHNOLOGY INTERVENTIONS FOR ELDERLY
Some indicative areas are-
- Development of simple solutions/ assistive devices required by the elderly population in the urban/semi-urban/rural areas characterized by:
- Cost effective and affordable by elderly of different segments in society
- Inclusive designs
- Potential for commercialization
- Field testing of newly developed technology for acceptance evaluation and further adaptation.
- Modulation of already existing technology specific for use of elderly to suit Indian conditions.
- Development of technology package for healthcare of elderly to include preventive care in the area of:
- area specific nutritional package
- Cost effective visual/hearing aids.
- Cost effective dentures/dental implants, etc.
- Documentation and validation of traditional health practices for elderly in codified Indian health system.
- Cognitive support for elderly (Alzheimer/Parkinson/Dementia, etc)
- Safe Kitchens for elderly.
- Some indicative technology areas are given below:
- Assistive devises for improving functionality, cognitive and assisted safety measures excretionary defects & related issues.
- Assistive Device for various form of monitoring devices/ non-invasive measuring devices/systems [injury preventions, blood parameters for non communicable diseases, standing and balance training].
- Assistive Devices for frequently occurring musculo-skeletal problems such as Osteoarthritis of knee, ankle joints and the osteoporosis.
- Special devices/footware for Diabetic foot and care, biosensors for clinical diagnosis, automated pill box and methods for learning and analyzing computer signals of medical changes.
- Devices/programmes for fitness of elderly.
- Simple controlled devices for operating household devices.
For further detail visit- www.scienceandsociety-dst.org.
Deadline: The proposals can be submitted throughout the year. However, proposals received up to 30.06.2010 can be considered for evaluation in the next PAMC meeting.